Left of Center: By Yukkione: The 2006 Budget
The 2006 Budget
Monday, March 13, 2006
Time : 7:38 PM

No Child of the wealthy left behind.

Tags:

posted by Yukkione at 7:38 PM | Permalink |

[ back home ]

Comments for The 2006 Budget
Thanks for linking to me at Fuzzy and Blue... and I adore the Ghastlycrumb Tinies alphabet. We actually have a small poster of the Ghastlycrumb Tinies' alphabet on our fridge and our 3 yr old daughter calls it "da skellyton ABC's".
Oh yeah... I was watching Jack Cafferty the other day when he read your latest email about Islam. I agree 100% w/your viewpoint on that issue. All religions are capable of being like the God Janus: 2 faced.

Hey Tina, I like your blog so I had to link it. My kids love Ghastlycrumb Tinies too. Glad someone else saw my Jack moment. :)

true true ... good cartoon/statement ... I am so sick of his no child left behind soma phrase ... thank got for brain rape awareness tools like this blog

get me the Kleenex, I missed your SECOND reading by Jack...I am so sad...

Hehe

[[[[ ]]]] that was clapping......just for you ;-)

No Child Left Behind , the ALL Children Left Behind Plan
Our Greatest Resouce totally wasted....grrrrrrr.

Love the picture.

You had a 'Jack Moment'? Congratulations. But I suppose you might want to be careful who you tell.

Well as much as NCLB sucks (oh, and it does) I marvel at how many parents with children have not taken the trouble to read the provisions or even understand how this impacts their schools, children, etc. I mean, I am in the schools for my job alot (LOL not my spy job) and I see a level of disinterest and disengagement that I find frightening and a whole array of excuses for why this is so. "I'm busy with kids." HELLO! This is one of the most critical parts of raising kids!

Or this: I can't be involved in homework etc. because I work. Well, most of us work in one form or another, and you'd be amazed at what a parent with effort can achieve. I mean I am talking meetings that parents never show up for, unreturned phone calls about children, that kind of thing. I think we give teachers and these 'laws' alot of blame but we are also a society of people that watch sitcoms instead of looking in book bags and ultimately, the kid suffers no matter who is to blame.

All I'm saying is that many people talk about these laws and have never taken advantage of opportunities to find out what it even means to them.We held an informational session on one particular provision of the law, and how many parents came? Yet it answered questions people ask constantly. See right or left, negligence and laziness is what it is!

To me, thats the difference between a bitchfest and empowerment. Love to hear what you think on this, Curmudgeon.
  • Posted at 7:53 AM | By Anonymous Anonymous

Well,of my three kids, only one is in school right now. First grade. So I haven't really been exposed to the constant preparation for testing that seems to be the rule for higher grade levels. I'm the son of teachers so I have a good perspective of what that side of things is like, and I know that most failure is due to parent inaction and apathy. Sad to say these are the people that bitch most when the child fails to perform. I'm starting to believe more and more that it's not about the amount of money the schools spend per student, but it's the learning environment itself coupled with parent involvement that turns out educated young people. I think teachers should be paid more, and that might encourage more competition and interest for quality people to go into teaching. When education changes are proposed look at who is proposing them. People like Bush only needed education for the resume', their family names get them where they want to go. Real people need education that works.

Teachers in the school where I am make about 50-60k a year, teachers only a few miles away make 35,000. Of course the one gets experience, degrees, etc. and the other emergency certifies teachers that have not even done student teaching yet.

There are many things that could be done better, sure, But my point is that often parents blame everyone but themselves. And this attitude can be pervasive and fuel blame versus information and earnest discussions about reform. Not to mention that this adds to the credibility problem of liberals- who will often say things suck but when asked cannot really articulate why.

I think high stakes testing CAN be a problem but what about the kids that get to tenth grade illiterate? What about the teachers I see that cannot do basic math? Evaluation of some form is essential, in some way. How about parents that find out in high school their kids are dyslexic? Can they get those years back for thier children? No. At least some form of diagnostic can help trouble shoot early. The days of kids graduating high school without knowing how to read are thankfully over. I don't credit Bush, but I don't credit defensive parents that can't be bothered either.
  • Posted at 9:03 AM | By Anonymous Anonymous

About me
My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States
Blogroll Me!

Links
Powered by :
Powered by Blogger

Santorum