Left of Center: By Yukkione: The betrayal of Paul Hacket
The betrayal of Paul Hacket
Saturday, February 18, 2006
Time : 8:13 AM


This story hurts. What happened hurts. Harpooning a fresh, strong candidate with authentic backbone instead of pumped up bravado is a travesty. The powers that be at the DNC, like to look as if they're the new rejuvenated Democrats, but I submit that they represent the same old lazy, spineless product with just a new coat of shellac. Paul Hacket not only deserves an apology, but full support and funding for his next race.

By David Goodman
Mother Jones
Democratic Senate candidate and Marine Corps Major Paul Hackett is accustomed to waging quixotic battles and taking his hits. He just didn’t expect the lowest—and fatal—blows to come from his own party.

posted by Yukkione at 8:13 AM | Permalink |

[ back home ]

Comments for The betrayal of Paul Hacket
Let me see. A candidate who could appeal across party lines or a party insider, which should the Democrats choose?
The easiest one to support with no spine!

Yeah, I've been reading about that, Fred did a good post on it too at "Making Conservatives Cringe". I think many are angered by the repeatedly misguided actions of the Democrats on such matters. Its a tough call- deciding who to support. Support on platform, message? Or support the money connected 'best chance'? In my opinion the way they strategize has backfired enough for them to reconsider. Where is Howard Dean anyway? Where's the leadership on direction?
  • Posted at 9:38 AM | By Anonymous Anonymous

The Democrats have a strategy? The Democrats have a leader? Gee, you learn something new everyday.

Lew- third parties, baby!! Third parties.
  • Posted at 1:41 PM | By Anonymous Anonymous

So bizarre. The Dems, already near death, decide to finish the job themselves and commit suicide. Good strategy!

I am Democratic by default only. Green party.. perhaps. Libertarian.. perhaps.. But, dammit, I hate voting for folks that don't have a chance, when I know my Cuban American friend Ed is going to go Refuglican every time. I do have a Republican I vote for, but because he's a genuine man of the people and it's for State Attorney. I desperately want independent voices in my government. But without real campaign reform it can't happen. I think all national campaigns should be publicly funded. However our Supreme court will rule that corporations are being denied their free speech. Because donating is a form of speech. Oi!

Oi is right. Capital O.
  • Posted at 5:05 PM | By Anonymous Anonymous

Yeah, that just kills me. To some degree this is why the Dems are in a losing mode right now. The Repubs would have stepped in early and promised this guy a lock on a house seat, and then used his popularity with on segment of their base to pull funding and rally that group.

Brownback, for instance, plays very well wmong the people who think the world is 8,000 years old, but they keep him in the back on the real issues.

And Hackett seemed like an honest guy. That's what kills me.

Mike

I still don't understand what happened- and it has been very poorly covered here...but I do think he was shafted pretty good- and by a party that really NEEDS him...I would have loved to see him beat Mean Jean ....but I am confused about the whole mess...this state makes NO sense...hmm., the democrats don't either...

About me
My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States
Blogroll Me!

Links
Powered by :
Powered by Blogger

Santorum